Friday, July 28, 2017

The Female Dress Code

This comic got me thinking...

 I hadn't realized France outlawed/restricted religious head coverings (have I been living under a rock?!). Legislation concerning women and religious head-coverings has been a movement of some sort in the EU for over a decade now.
Needless to say, it is a very complex issue. 
Personally, I am anti-religion in general and hate the repression of women in all religions (let's be clear, Christians repress women too. The bible is a very sexist piece of literature.) So my natural desire is never to see a woman abide by some patriarchal, body-shaming, possessive, bullshit. But there is a more fundamental desire in me that wants us to stop telling women what they can and can't wear. Period. And it feels like government involvement in the female dress-code is just another side of the same coin. 
And this comic about sums it up! 

No comments: